I believe in summer

Breezy - Rockford, Michigan
Themes: change, hope

I Believe In Summer

Looking forward to something drives me. It gives me hope that even though today may have discouraged me, tomorrow could bring something better. Michigan is knows for the relentless cold that all residents are forced to suffer through. Relief from this bitter cold is what I constantly look forward to. I believe in summer. Looking forward to summer has gotten me through some very long winter days. Summer not only provides me with a haven from the cold, it gives me opportunities. All of the other three seasons revolve around school. The regimented schedule provides little time to attend to anything other required tasks. After the essentials are taken care of, there is seldom extra time to pursue activities of choice. However, in summer there is not only an absence of school, there is an absence of regimentations. With this freedom, the possibilities summer provides are endless.

I have studied Chinese for over three years. Over the past few years I have had the chance to visit China twice. During these trips I have learned vastly more in those two to three week spans, then in an entire semester at school. Granted, I was in a completely Chinese speaking environment and was forced to adapt accordingly. But if I had not had the freedom of summer break, I would not have been able to go out of the country for three weeks at a time. Summer also gives you the chance to learn subject matter that you really want to investigate. You can read books of choice, visit museums and research topics that interest you. I have spent countless summer afternoons reading books that have opened my eyes and mind to ideas that changed the way I view the word. I have encountered countless adventures as I buried myself in books. Summer makes me feel alive and gives me ambition. Summer gives us more then three months warmth, sunshine and thunderstorms. Summer is the chance to rest, explore and discover.