Power of Friendship

christina - billerica, Massachusetts

Disasters seem to strike at the worst possible moments. For me, it was exactly one month before my sixteenth birthday, October 11th, 2006. After school that Wednesday my best friend, Jessica, was suppose to come over and help me make final decisions for my sweet sixteen; instead she wound up spending her afternoon sitting in a hospital by my bedside. That morning on my way to the school bus stop, I was hit by a car driving on the wrong side of the road. That accident changed my life forever. Not only do I have a permanent reminder of what happened, the scar down most of my right arm, but I also remember the accident in a different way every time I look at one of my friends. Those friends stood by my side and were always willing to help the following six months I wasn’t able to use my right arm. The ease of my transition back to school after my three weeks in the hospital was due solely to the strength of my friends. I believe in the power of friendship more than anything in this world.

Friendship is a special bond that allows people to become completely interconnected while still being themselves. True friends allow you to stay exactly who you are, but still improve in the best ways possible. By opening myself up to someone in such an intimate way, it allows me to learn the best qualities of a friend and apply that to myself. The power of friendship brings out the best in everyone.

Friendship is what keeps me grounded when things get out of hand. Whether I am having a bad day and just need to vent or I am having a great day and just want to share my excitement, I turn to friends. Sharing experiences with friends allows me to learn from experiences I have not personally encountered, yet have seen firsthand the effects. These situations allow me to feel the pain and joy of my friends, just by listening and caring. Friendship has that power.

When it seems like all I can do is give up, some way, somehow, friends give me the strength I need. Often times, with my friends by my side I feel invincible. Friends supply me with the boost of confidence I need to be the best Christina possible. Coming back to school after the accident was hard, but when I walked into school that day there was Jessica, my loyal best friend that sat by my bedside for the past few weeks and kept me updated on everything happening while I was away. Thanks to her and all my friends who wouldn’t let me feel different, that day was just like any other Monday, and for that I was eternally grateful.

Henry David Thoreau once said, “The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend.” This quote is true to friends everywhere. All a true friend ever needs is you. Friendship looks past materialism and rewards with something much greater, love. The power of friendship allows two strangers to become irrevocably connected. Someone you never knew has suddenly become someone impossible to live without. As I said my final goodbyes to Jessica before we left for college I remembered that day, the day without question she showed up at the hospital to sit at my bedside, and I knew this would not be goodbye.