Life: A Composition

Katie - Rockford, Michigan

For years I have meticulously studied and practiced the works of Beethoven, Debussy, Marianelli and various other equally talented composers. Such masterpieces should continually be gratifying to play, although I always finish wanting more, wanting something of my own. When I play a piece of music, my soul should be intertwined with the keys as well as my fingers. I believe that I have to be the composer of my own song; I have to define my own path in life.

Life is always easiest when decisions are already chosen for you. Before I touch my fingertips to the keys and begin “Moonlight Sonata”, I already know what sound will be projected from the piano. I am immediately assured that what I’m about to play will have a delightful sound and flow. Playing someone else’s piece is safe and comforting, similar to living an others’ life. The challenge is to break away from safety and reassurance. There are only two outcomes to taking this risk, failure or success. Composing my own song is very difficult because it is obvious when notes don’t flow together well. It is evident to those listening around me when I fail. This failure can not only be degrading, but can also lead me back to a song of familiarity, a life of security. The other outcome to this risk is creating something beautiful that is all my own. There would be nothing that could triumph the success of defining my own song by myself. The choice is to either play a song that is familiar or to break out from normality and define yourself as an individual no matter the outcome.

Different choices in life have a major impact on the turnout of my song. For example, if I decide to follow a path of adventure and excitement, my song will resemble that of “Flight of the Bumblebee” (short, quick notes). If I choose to live a life of simple, quiet tranquility my composition will contain slow, long chords. Different choices lead to endless outcomes, resulting in an infinite amount of individuality. Negative choices can also affect the outturn of my song. As a veer from my own defined path by making wrong choices such as lying, cheating, or not being myself, I become bogged down with things that aren’t truly me. If I continue making unwise decisions, my fingers will become so tied down that they won’t be able to flow freely and I will lose my individual path. The most important thing in making choices is to pick what best resembles you as a unique individual. Choose what best defines you and this will lead you on the right path. I believe that I have to be the composer of my own song, for I am the only one who can define my own path in life.