The Rich, The poor, and The Middle class

Kaelyn - SOLON, Ohio

Shopping all day is great, especially when you get permission to max out your parents American Express Gold card. But it’s ok because you bought a brand new dress: tight, magenta, and sparkly with that frilly thing you like at the bottom. After your amazing day, you take your late model Bentley home, relaxing in the plush, cream, leather seats with that wonderful new car smell and the bass bumping. You live the good life, unlike so many other people.

I’m 14 and I overuse the phrase, “That’s not fair!” And in the end I always regret it because I get some long lecture from my family about how, “life’s not fair, and be happy you have a roof and food, because so many children in this world don’t have either!” During this lecture I never really took into consideration this might actually be true until I visited Puerto Rico.

When you hear Puerto Rico you think beautiful scenery and an ocean as blue as a midnight sky. Just imagine tall, mysterious mountains in the distance, colorful flowers with that smell brand new, exotic blue and yellow birds, and this is just the hotel! All kinds of cultural foods like mashed Plantains, molded into a mountain as yellow as a banana boat, and to top it off a sweet soft taste runs thorough your mouth. Only, this is the good part.

You know those commercials that have the children without much food and sometimes no parents? You can donate money and get a picture of the child you’re sponsoring; I never really thought those commercials could be true until I saw them first hand. People just standing on the side of the street with their shacks in the background, faces dirty, clothes torn and made of rags, and no shoes. They are dirt poor but in just the next city over, people live in the most beautiful houses on top of hills, and their children go to the most prestigious schools. Yet, these people are the people on the commercials they watch on their flat screen HD TV’s.

After seeing all of this, it made me step back and take a look at how good my life really is. Here I am living in Solon, Ohio going to one if the best schools systems here, and those people barely have a home. Let’s just say I donate clothes almost every month. So this I believe: life is better than some think.