Dream as if you’ll live forever

Krysten - Rockford, Michigan

Whether it’s to graduate from high school, to become the next NFL star, or the president of the United States, everyone has dreams. Some are small and easily achieved while others are so big that they seem unattainable. But regardless of the magnitude of ones dreams, no matter how unrealistic or far-fetched they may be, dreams are absolutely essential to the soul.

The ability to dream keeps us young at heart. Those rare souls that continue to dream and try and do, even after failure and heartbreak, are the ones who are truly fortunate. Dreaming causes people to examine what they truly want out of life and every step along the journey, whether it is a step forward or back, builds character. Our dreams define who we are as human beings and what we stand for and they constantly challenge us to be smarter, stronger, better versions of ourselves.

Imagine if no one was there to dream bigger dreams than most people do, to set higher goals, to pick themselves up after countless failures. Where would we be today? If Thomas Edison had decided that his dreams weren’t attainable and had simply given up? If Steve PreFontaine had listened when critics told him he would never be a successful distance runner? Who would we look up to? Who would we base our dreams on today? Who would inspire us?

Without those who aren’t afraid to step out on a ledge, even if it means they may fall, our world would not be what it is today. If our founding fathers had never dreamt the dreams on which they based our country, imagine what the world would look like. It was those dreams, the dreams of the past and the ability of those who continue to dream, that drive every tiny movement in this world. This I believe; Dreaming is absolutely essential to life, happiness and success. Take a moment to imagine your life without a single dream ever having taken place. I bet you can’t do it, can you?