Shoes

Kylie - Rockford, Michigan

Shoes don’t talk back, they don’t whine, they don’t complain, they are only there to please you. They cushion your feet on a long jog, keep a layer between you and the burning pain of the sand on the beach, and most important of all they have the power to tie an entire outfit together and make you feel elegant, glowing with confidence. Every shoe has a personality of its own, which unknowingly to us transfers itself to its wearer.

We all have our favorite pair of shoes our ragged old tennis shoes that have been so faithful throughout the years. What we don’t realize is that our shoes seem to define us. My annual pair of basketball shoes that bear the scars of my hard work of the season past characterize me the best, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy wearing a pair of stilettos and a nice dress. There is always a shoe hidden within your closet that can match your mood. Feeling flirty, grab those black pumps, want to go to the beach your flip-flops are sitting on top of each other waiting to see some sun, going to the gym your faithful Nikes are slyly hidden within your gym bag that conveniently matches them.

Some shoes bring us together rather than defining us as individuals. For instance, many sports teams choose a “team” shoe to set a tone of equality, to be seen as one, to be known and recognized as an element of the team even when not practicing together. The military issues boots in which every member sports. Each Navy seal marches in the same pair of boots as the mechanic working with the jets on deck. Shoes can even equalize us and bond us as one without us even knowing it. It’s strange that something we would ordinarily barely notice can have an impact if we do.

Shoes don’t segregate against any race but they can define them. The Indians wore leather moccasins, which were comfortable and efficient while trudging through the forest. The pilgrims sported a buckle on the front of theres, which were more fit for city life back in Europe. Each culture wears a different type of shoe according to the environment which they live in. The sandals of the Middle East or the snow boots of Alaska. The same feet slip within them. Pairs of shoes comfort the same body part, they do not segregate based on size or age and they are perfectly happy to wrap around the feet of the dirty, the hungry, the sick, and the poor. They are not afraid of murderers and even are placed upon the feet of those who have arrested them. Shoes are a sign of equality, granting confidence and lessons if you look close enough. So, every time you see someone in need, someone who needs a lift from the ground, someone in pain that others have ignored please, look down. Look at those laces, buckles, and Velcro straps and ask yourself. Are their shoes so different from mine? I believe that shoes tie us together with there laces of lessons, confidence, pride and unselfishness.