Daddy’s Little Girl

Jessica - Rockford, Michigan

“Butterfly kisses” are just one of many favorites a father will cherish with his little girl. From the first time he holds that precious newborn wrapped in pink, he will hold her tightly to his side right up until the day he gives her away. This I believe, that a father is more protective of his daughter than he is of his sons. As the youngest child and only girl of a family, I have been able to experience the love and protection from an over protective father. I have stood by watching opportunities my older brothers have had, such as going on trips out of the country with others of the same age. However, my dad needs to be sure there is an adult present when I spend the night at a friend’s house, that is half a mile away from home. I am to call before bed and again when I wake up. Growing up I thought it was a thoughtful gesture of my dad making sure that I did not die in my sleep. However, when I found that only the elderly die in their sleep, I began to question how protective my dad was of me. My mom assured me that mine was not a unique situation. She was the oldest child, but the only girl of her family and she has stories of how her father was more protective of her than her three younger brothers.

Then there are the numerous daddy/daughter songs and movies and TV commercials that depict the father’s protection over his daughter when she is dating some punk boy. I knew unlike the TV commercials, my father would never be in the backseat of the car on my date, instead one of my older brothers was always sent as the watch dog. I would hold grudges against him for making me feel so childish, but there always remained a security that comforted me. I honestly don’t know whether or not a dad who is over protective of his daughter is a good thing or bad, but this I believe that no matter what the day brings, I know my over protective daddy loves me.