The Dark Side of Love

Rachel - Rockford, Michigan
Themes: love

Liebe, Amor, Amour, Amore, Love. It is a word that centuries before us have given many definitions to and is recognized across the globe. For me, love is a connection between people. It is a feeling that can stand strong through the tests of time. We have a bond with the people that we love. It can’t always be described in words, but that doesn’t make its existence any less real. The people we love become a part of us. They touch places in our hearts that we will carry with us forever. I believe that the people we love are the ones who can hurt us the most. We care about their hopes, their dreams, and their well being. Some of life’s biggest decisions are centered on love. In all the fairy tales anyone ever heard as a kid, the prince and the princess always live happily ever after. They forget to mention the other side of love in all those stories. They forgot about the painful side, the darker side. When something happens between someone and one of their friends, a family member, or a significant other, it hurts. When the people we care about deceive us, or get angry with us, their words and actions hit us much harder then someone we don’t really care about ever could. When we get into arguments and do horrible things those closest to us give us the hardest blows. They’re the ones who have already torn down the walls that protect our hearts, so they can attack it directly.

It’s rather ironic don’t you think? The people we love can bring us ecstatic happiness as well as overwhelming sadness. We think love is supposed to be perfect, that we’ll all get our happy endings someday. I used to think love was like that, until my story turned into my worst nightmare. I had met my prince. He cared about me, and understood me when I was invisible to the rest of the world. I trusted him, and stood up for him when everyone else told me I shouldn’t. I gave him a second chance when everyone else had written him off. I believed people were entirely wrong about him, that they were so foolish for telling me to keep my distance. But it was I who was the fool. I had believed every lie, I trusted every smile, and everything that had swept me off my feet means nothing now. I had fallen for a prince that had never been real, and I still haven’t liberated all the space he claimed in my heart. He hurt me in ways no one else ever could, and cut me deeper then I believed was humanly possible. That’s the type of power the people we care about can have over us. We can hurt them just as much as they can hurt us. That’s why I believe the people we love are the ones that can hurt us the most.