My Lost Generation

Aaron - Rockford, Michigan

I wish times were simpler now, like when I was younger and never knew anything regarding this country. Unfortunately, we all have to grow up and acknowledge the truths of the nation we live in. I didn’t start actually caring about politics or the state of our country until after the War on Terrorism began. I remember being told in class by a boy who sat next to me that according to his father the war was a conspiracy for men to make money by exploiting the situation. Feeling appalled, bewildered, and a little betrayed I discarded this new information as nothing but a fictitious rumor. That day, I went home and began to look into everything I could find regarding the War on Terror. Over the next few months I began to see where these ideas of conspiracy stemmed from and from that day I made it a point to stay informed with what was going on in this country. Since that I have watched things happen in this country that I can strongly say were wrong. I’ve learned of a country with a past that is less than righteous.

It is because of Vietnam, the War in Iraq, pork barrel spending, tax evaders, welfare abusers, corrupt politician, greedy CEO’s, bailing out loaning companies, political agendas, lobbyists, the Watergate Scandal, the Iran-Contra Affair, cover ups, a failing economy, and a decaying America that I believe in integrity. America needs more people with the seemingly absent quality of integrity. We need to start doing what is right for the whole no matter the cost to ourselves or our wallets. This country will never be great again unless all its citizens learn to follow and use integrity. Until then we will continue to circle the drain, and I fear it’s only a matter of time that we will find the sewers.