Knowing What You Want

Mary - Rockford, Michigan

I used to be a part of a bible study with a few of my close friends. Even though we are no longer together, I learned many lessons that will stick with me forever. My bible study leader once tried stressing to us to make a goal board for ourselves. She said to put whatever we wanted on it; anything that defined us, things we liked, things we didn’t like, and the direction we would want our lives to follow. What’s the reason for this useless, dust collector that I would most likely never look at again? She said the only way to get where you want in life is to have an idea of what you want. By writing it down or knowing in your mind the course you hope your life to take, subconsciously you will do things to lead you in the right direction. The first step is to know what you want. I believe life is like Google. After performing countless searches for class projects, shopping, or just for the fun of surfing the net, I have learned the key to a successful search. Google, a simple search engine that requires the right words and consequently provides thousands of related sites right at the click of a mouse, is a microcosm of life. Just about everything that exists in the world can be found on Google. There is good, truthful information, helpful websites, games, directions, weather and more. There are also websites filled with spam, lies, and illegal matter. Google can be a helpful and easy tool to browse through, as well as a difficult and even impossible annoyance for finding something relevant to your need. The key to having success on a web device filled with more information than one could possibly comprehend is to simply know what you want. In order to start a search, the proper key words must be accurately and specifically typed. Sometimes the words you think will bring you to what you are looking for lead you in a different direction and another try is needed. You may have to restart, or use different wording, a new route, that will lead you the right way again. Through all the good and the bad, optimism is necessary too. Even though the search may be difficult, the persistence behind having a set goal and knowing what you want will bring you to what you desire. I believe that life is like Google, you must know what you want in order to find it.