I’m More than a Machine

Elizabeth - Rockford, Michigan

I have always known that I am more than a machine, more than randomness, more than chance. I know it in my core. There, I feel love, passion, creativity, and numerous other emotions that can’t be explained by the Big Bang Theory or evolution. I have the ability to write, make music, have intellectual conversations, and give helpful advice. How could the product of a spontaneous reaction do that? I believe that I and all of creation are the masterpiece of an Intelligent Designer.

In tenth grade biology, I learned about chromosomes and how our DNA is wound around something called histone proteins. The DNA is coiled around the histone proteins in the most precise and efficient way mathematically possible. While some attribute this to evolution alone, I marvel at the beauty of creation- even at a molecular level.

On a much larger scale, I am amazed daily at the earth’s beauty- at forests, at beaches, at animals, at sunsets. I am amazed at not only our ability to feel warmth and cold, but also our feelings of happiness and satisfaction. To me, that is beautiful. It’s incredible that humans can paint, make music, row, run, pole-vault, swim, color, text, or knit. But how can we give ourselves so much credit? How do we believe that chance has endowed us with these wonderful, unique gifts? Do we really believe that our finite minds invented math or music?

I see this beauty, and I feel my soul, and I remember that by my Creator I have been called more beautiful than the sunsets, the proteins, and the emotions. This causes me to live a purposeful life. I know where I came from, and I know where I will return. With my soul as a reminder to my function, I will readily soak up all the beauty of the life I was given. The glory of my existence has been bestowed upon me by my Maker: this I truly believe.