The Art of Procrastination

Lauren - Rockford, Michigan

The feeling of adrenaline pulsing through my veins, and the quickened pace of my heart; the way my vision somehow narrows and I am only able to see the task at hand, to focus and push through any obstacle because there are no other options. The task must be accomplished immediately. This is the procrastination high, perhaps the strongest and most exhilarating of all natural highs. Nothing could ever hope to compete with this emotion, with knowing that you are living life on the edge.

I believe in the art of procrastination. I believe in the power it holds, because I have witnessed its success with my own eyes. Some of my best writing has been done the night before a deadline. Of course, this particular piece was finished weeks ago. Also, many of my best performances on tests occurred with minimal studying immediately before the test itself, sometimes known as cramming. I believe in this art, and it is indeed an art which must be perfected. There are exceptions to every rule, and not all art is considered a masterpiece, but with practice and patience procrastination can have astounding results. I cannot count the number of times a friend of mine has received a perfect score on an assignment they completed moments before their deadline.

What is the science behind the phenomenon? The focus, the drive, and the necessity; there is nothing that can force a person to accomplish a task better than obligation and pressure, and with this pressure comes an inexplicable ability to actually succeed, perhaps beyond a persons usual talents. In this indisputable art, I believe.