Omnivorous Homo Sapiens

Ethan - Rockford, Michigan

I believe in omnivorous homo sapiens. I believe a diet consisting of meat and organic matter is completely acceptable as well as essentially necessary. The reason for my belief is two-fold: Biblical and physical. My physical evidence is valid proof for anyone whether he or she is a Darwinist or doesn’t believe in the Bible. Eating meat is acceptable and part of man’s nature, while vegetarianism is a personal choice.

First, according to the Bible, God created the earth and gave man dominion over the earth to care for and utilize (Genesis 2-4). Before Adam and Eve were banished from Eden, God provided them with animal skins to cover their nakedness. God was the first entity to utilize animals for coverings. Then, Adam and Eve had two sons, Cain and Abel. Cain tilled the soil and reaped the fruit of the earth, while Abel tended his flocks. Cain and Abel both presented offerings before God. Cain presented that which he had grown, while Abel presented the firstlings of his flock. As proof that it was acceptable and required for man to utilize animals himself, God was pleased by Abel’s offering, but disregarded Cain’s. In addition, after departing the ark (Genesis 9), God told Noah and his family that every living thing would be food for them. God had clearly provided animals for responsible use and consumption.

Secondly, from a physical standpoint (or evolutionary standpoint if you prefer) the human body was designed or has evolved to accommodate an omnivorous diet. Mankind’s dental structure and digestive tract are most similar to those of omnivorous or carnivorous creatures. Our mouths contain a mixture of canine teeth and molars. Canine teeth are found in animals such as lions, bears, and tigers for ripping and tearing meat. Molars are found in animals such as cows and deer for pulverizing grains and browse. Furthermore, our digestion is most similar to omnivorous or carnivorous creatures. We have one stomach like that of a bear (omnivorous). Animals that have a strictly organic diet have multiple stomachs or chew their cud to break down the tougher organic matter. The stomachs of herbivores also have different enzymes to break down the plant matter to obtain more nutrients. If a human consumed grass, it would still appear as grass after digestion.

From a Darwinist viewpoint, the teeth and digestive tract that we as a human race have developed is the end result of natural selection. We are physically equipped in this manner because an omnivorous diet was the best for human survival and health. Generations of hunters have ensured the survival of their families when vegetables and grains were not readily available or in short supply. Salted meats allowed early ship crews to cross the ocean despite scurvy (caused by a lack of fruits and vegetables in their diet). The frontiersmen and Native Americans ate meat as one of their basic and essential foods. Take the Inuit people for example. In their harsh climate, seal and whale meat were and are necessary for their survival. Every part of the animals is used. The skins are used for shelter from the elements, the fat is made into oil, and the meat keeps them fed. Use of animals has allowed mankind to thrive and populate nearly all the areas of the earth.

Having said all this, I in no way disrespect people who make the choice to leave meat out of their diet. I respect their decision and have no problem with it. What I do have a problem with is people or groups, extremists such as PETA, who force their vegetarian agenda on meat-eaters. I also in a way find it wrong when people go against their convictions. These people say things like “I don’t wish to eat animals – but I need my protein.” or “I don’t want to know where meat comes from.” People like this need to do some research and make a decision. A person can decide to be a vegetarian, but mankind is omnivorous by nature and design. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with enjoying a tender, hot sirloin steak.