The theory of right and wrong

Richard - 49306, Michigan
Themes: good & evil

I believe in right and I believe in wrong. I believe in victory and defeat, good and evil. I believe that if I truly believe the things that I say I believe, then there have to be other beliefs that are wrong. I believe that if I live my entire life, never convincing, persuading, or rather sharing those beliefs, then my life is spent baking in a self-absorbing sauna. I believe that if someone sees something wrong in my life, they shouldn’t be afraid to challenge what my actions or decisions are. The flipside to this belief in right and wrong is often named relativity or absolute acceptance but in all actuality it is passivity. It is the easy road to take when the fork of disagreement approaches.

In 1668, Francesco Redi, an Italian physician, performed an experiment to refute the idea that maggots spontaneously arose from rotting meat. The theory of spontaneous generation had long been perceived as scientific fact, but Redi saw something wrong and devoted many years of his life to correcting that idea. Time and time again, scientific theories arise and eventually are proved wrong when another more in depth theory is introduced and proven correct.

Does my belief stop in the field of science, where things can be tangibly and visibly proved or disproved? No. I believe Adolph Hitler’s third Reich was evil. I believe that abortion, the taking of an innocent life, is wrong. I believe that justice, equality, and democracy are good. Does my belief stop with issues that affect the lives of others, or does it carry on to personal decisions?

Take for example the personal decision of religion. Would I fly to Mecca for a month and stand on a street corner preaching the gospel to great multitudes of Muslims? I have to admit, probably not. But, if a friend of mine decides to leave Christianity to pursue Islam, I hope I’d have the guts to try and convince him otherwise. I hope that I wouldn’t just let wrong decisions like that pass me by. If I’m sitting in class one day, and the topic of casual sex or “friends with benefits” comes up, I hope that I wouldn’t simply avoid confrontation and accept my classmate’s belief that sex has no greater meaning than pleasure. I pray that I would be a man, not one full of arrogance or political correctness, but rather righteousness and compassion. I believe that it is my duty to act upon the belief of right and wrong. If I were to believe that what you believe is right for you and what I believe is right for me, then we can always agree to disagree on practically everything and consequently live in a utopia, in harmony. Or is there more to life than simply living in a carefree, acquiescent world where anything goes and actually nothing matters except that my life will be better and more pleasing to me. My beliefs don’t really matter if it is only true for me. Unless I believe that wrongness and evil can exist, then all the rest of my beliefs are nothing.