What is it about running?

Michael - USA

I believe in the act of running: the shortness of breath, the utter determination, and the endorphin liberating purity of running. Everything worth doing is difficult and hard, but it sure is worth the effort. Running was hard, still is hard, and always will continue to challenge me. It is an oxymoron because there are elements of running that I hate and enjoy doing. It is an activity I can look forward to at the end of the day and better yet yields positive results. I must be crazy looking forward to running at the end of the day? Nope because running helps me think more lucidly and get into a moment of clarity. I odd to believe in running since it isn’t an idea, but it still something along the lines of relaxation that emotionally and spiritually sweeps me off my feet. This just feels right for me when I partake in something that has more than physical benefits.

Officially the run started when I was a freshman and I ran on the high school cross country team. Running is a natural stress reliever for me. A good jog cleared my head when I feel frustrated, angry, or just plain tired with something. It’s just me and miles of road that lay right in my tracks just waiting to be stepped on. It doesn’t matter what run I go on, simply running amends my whole body’s attitude and apprehension of life. On my run I no longer concerned about how I am going attempt to write another advanced writing essay because it all fades away as I tell myself, hurry up so I won’t faint on the side of the street.

Well, my journey in running began back then racing and having fun, but it is different now because I appreciate it more. Until this year, after many years of running and tormenting my body with the brutal workouts I come to realize and appreciate the opportunity presented to me. It wasn’t a chore or responsibility I took on five days after school. There’s more to running than I know, but it still has added some good personal characteristics. I can see the self motivation, patience, and the will to go outside their physical as well as mental comfort zone. For me running has brought out the strongest emotions for me. It is relaxing yet very stressful, and of course exhausting. No on said running is easy, but it sure is very rewarding.

During this year when I ran I ran like I never ran before as if I had grown wings and took off. I should have felt tired and fatigued, but I didn’t and I felt as if I could run and run forever. I couldn’t comprehend that why my legs moved more swiftly than ever and I wasn’t even. I embraced the pain instead of fighting it because I ran with only my heart and soul, not my mind. I felt the high of running as if I could continue running forever.

Running is never too late to start, everyone from children to the elderly begin the sport. Nothing more than determination, heart, and a water bottle is all that’s needed to start. What I know is running will take me places. This I believe, running will always stay with me because it has embedded in me its requirements of confidence in my mental ability.