Sticky Notes

Kristin - North Chelmsford, Massachusetts

I believe that sticky notes organize my life. They are little reminders I write down every night, knowing I won’t remember them in the morning. Color coded; blue for school, purple for swim team, and green for reminders. I put sticky notes all over my desk, my seat in the kitchen, my reminder binder, everywhere! Without them I’d be forgetting what I want to do, want to bring, want to buy at the mall. My belief in these little colorful pieces of paper is important because it helps me organize myself and keeps me focused on what I have to get done.

Our lives are run on time, which might seem obvious, but when I really think about it, it’s crazy. There truly is never enough time to get done what I want every day or every week. Sometimes after going to school, swimming, driving home, eating dinner, and getting my homework done, I just want to go to bed! But even when I’m completely flat out exhausted, I’ve learned that I have to plan ahead every night for the next morning because I’m way too busy getting ready for school. Writing reminders on sticky notes saves me time in the morning, so I can do what I have to do.

When I forget to write the little notes, I feel completely lost and unorganized. My day feels out of sorts and I just know I forgot to do something, inevitably letting myself down. Distractions happen every minute and can pull me in if I’m not trying to reach a goal. Whether it’s at home or school, I’m always setting goals I hope to achieve. Even if it’s a small goal like reading ahead in my English class or getting a 90 on a math test, it gives me a sense of accomplishment once I’ve attained it. Goals give me a sense of direction and where I need to be headed. I’m one of those people that need to write down all my homework assignments in my reminder binder and sometimes I also use different color pens to be able to differentiate the subjects. My multiple ways of organizing my life works for me, it’s just the way I run and go about my day. Being organized is one of my strongest suits and these tools help keep me focused so I don’t get sidetracked by little things.

Sticky notes help me to organize all the little details in my life, so I can carry out my day focused on what’s going on right then, right there. It keeps me close to my family and friends. When I’m organized and have all my work done, I have free time to send a thoughtful note to my Nana or a quick “hello” on the phone. This belief will help me in the future by keeping me organized throughout college and life because everyone needs reminders, needs sticky notes telling them to not forget to do this, not forget to bring that. I believe people who are organized will always be organized. It isn’t just some trait you loose as you grow up; it’s a skill that stays with you. Organization is a way of my life and I hate not being on top of my goals. Life is a whole lot easier when you know what you have to get gone, where you’re headed, and the steps you need to take to get there. I know my colorful pieces of paper will lead me to greatness as I reach for even my biggest goals.