Belt It

Ashley - Chesterfield, Missouri

I believe in singing in the car. Jamming out on the highway to your favorite song. The feeling that overcomes you when your favorite song comes on the radio and you can’t help but sing out. Who cares who is watching! You don’t care of course because you are taken away to that place where you don’t have that final essay due the next day, your not late to work, the baby isn’t crying in the back seat, nothing but you and your song. You know what, you may even be dancing, too.

I cant count the memories made driving in the hot summer sun with my best friends beside me, the windows down and the radio as loud as it could go, with our voices, decibels louder. We were heard from miles away. There was no mistaking when we were approaching our destination. The car would shake; rattle, and roll as we laughed, sang, and danced away our cares. What would this life be if no one could turn up the radio and sing out loud just for kicks. Who cares who is looking at you, who cares who is arrantly staring; the chances are they have done it many times themselves. I have never met a single soul who wont admit to the paroxysm of exuberant belting in the car. Its the feeling you get when on a stressful day your cares just melt away, and on those sunny, blue sky days you go soaring into the clouds nothing can stop you now. Who knew that singing in the car could be the best therapy around, why pay hundreds of dollars when you can sit in your car turn the radio up and belt it just for free! Think about it, how many times have you been having the worst day ever and then you hear it, maybe its only a note or two but you know it, it’s the song, your song, so what do you do, you turn it up and sing at the top of your lungs, and for that brief few minutes nothing is wrong and nothing can touch you. When you sing in the car it makes no difference who is watching, all that matters is the fact that you can’t turn your radio up loud enough. There is nothing more exhilarating than your favorite song ringing in your ears, and if your lucky it’ll get stuck in your head all day. I love walking out to my car turning it on and the first song on the radio is one that has been playing in my head, over and over again all day, making me testy and agitated, but suddenly those feelings are ephemeral I begin to chuckle, buckle my seatbelt take off. Before I know it I am once again caught up in singing along, and not two seconds later I begin to dance. No one should find ignominy in expressing their outrageous joy when their favorite song pops onto the radio. It seems to me that though it may seem ludicrous, a smile is passed along to a neighboring driver and, maybe even a laugh in remembrance of the infinite times they themselves have been swept in the moment and started drumming on their steering wheel, singing, not a single note on key, but belting it none the less.

I firmly believe in singing in the car, go ahead try it; it’s the best therapy around. It doesn’t matter who is listening or who may be watching, the only thing that matters is that you are carefree having the time of your life. God ahead belt it, make someone smile; remind them its ok to sing in the car!