I Believe to Mirrors

Tanna - Windthorst, Texas
Themes: integrity

Every morning I wake up, turn off my alarm, get out of bed, turn down my fan, and walk into the bathroom where…BAM, there I am in the reflection. Having just gotten out of bed, I have zero makeup on and have to squint just to see straight. Needless to say I am no walking beauty. In case I forget, the bathroom mirror makes sure to remind me; therefore, I believe in mirrors.

According to the Encarta Dictionary, a mirror can be described as: “1. a highly reflective surface…that reflects light without diffusing it so it will give back a clear image of anything placed in front of it and 2. …something that accurately reproduces, describes, or represents something else.” These definitions are the exact reasons why I believe in mirrors. In the world we live in, it is expected that young girls strive to look like the latest supermodel. The supermodel, might I add, that starves herself or does drugs or has had ten plastic surgeries. Really, this is our idol? Maybe if people took the time to look at them as a mirror does, which means with total truth of the image placed in front of them, they would see the actual flaws that shade this idol. Perhaps, if they took off the glasses of perception, they would realize that people are never as perfect as they are made out to be.

How different would our world be today if people looked at the real root of the problem and solved it? It is often human nature to look beyond the real problem and instead see what we want fixed. If we truly placed a mirror in front of the dilemma, perhaps we would find out that what we want fixed is not in the country or even the world’s best interest. This holds true with leaders as well. If they looked into a mirror that reflects exactly what it sees, would they see a leader that constantly puts the best interest of his/her people first, or would they see a leader that really wants to better their own life?

A mirror holds nothing back. It sees exactly what is placed in front of it. It does not focus on just the good stuff and overlook the bad stuff. Its image is completely unbiased. If we all decided to take an honest look in the mirror, what would we see? Would we see a soldier fighting for his country’s freedom, or would we see a soldier fighting to make sure he stays alive? Would we see a teacher working her hardest to inculcate her knowledge into the hard-headed students she works with, or would we see a teacher simply making in through the day in order to receive her next paycheck? Would we see ourselves as perfect model citizens, or would we see ourselves as we actually are and act and live? A mirror sees it all. For these reasons, I believe in mirrors.