My Other Half

Gabriel - Park Ridge, Illinois

Turning around the corner by the SPS office was an angel. She was untouchable, I thought. Her hair bounced and danced with every step she took like the way your finger curls when you want to signal to someone to come closer. Her eyes were a deep ocean blue that when you happen to go for a swim in them, you can’t help but lose yourself within the depths of her own encompassing gaze. And of course, that smile of hers; oh God, what I would give just to see someone like her shine a smile in my direction. Everything about her seemed to fit together so magically – so perfectly – that it was almost impossible to think that another girl like her could ever come close to what she was in my brown, shallow eyes.

It was four days, five hours, and seventeen minutes ago since I last saw perfection; that’s what I called her in my mind. And now, after finding out what a selfish little girl she was, I have sixty-seven years, ten months, twenty-one days, thirteen hours, fifty-two minutes, and I don’t know, say a few seconds give or take for me to find my match, my half, my Juliet. Yes, I believe in Juliet.

But who would she be? What would she like? Who would she like? Would I be good enough for her? Would she understand me? Would she love me?

As a little boy, my favorite night was obviously movie night. I distinctly remember running up and down the aisles of several Blockbusters in New York searching for the perfect Disney movie. On one night, it was Aladdin. As our car rolled up the driveway of the old, gray, shabby apartment building, I quickly raced out of our car, popped some popcorn in our brand new microwave, and settled down with some covers on the couch. I put the movie in, and in no time at all, I was exposed to a world much deeper than friendship; I had discovered love. Not only would Jasmine and Aladdin sneak out together at night and go on an adventure away from the Sultan’s palace, but they would fly high above the trees, high above the mountains, and high above the sky on Aladdin’s magnificent magic carpet. They were perfect; the movie was perfect. Movie after movie, and week after week of watching several Disney movies, I happened to stumble across a reoccurring pattern. It didn’t matter what Disney movie I put in, whether it be Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, or Aladdin, but I noticed that there always seemed to be a princess for the guy in every movie. Everyone somehow just matched perfectly with someone else, Aladdin with Jasmine and Prince Phillip with Aurora. So, as a child, I quickly came to believe that my Juliet had to be somewhere out there; she just had to be, just like Aladdin’s.

“Life is always full of surprises my son,” my mom used to tell me, “You’ll never know when it’ll happen or what it’ll be, but it’s bound to happen. It happens to everyone. Sí, mi Gabrielangelito, love will come to you.”

Love will not come to me was exactly what I thought from then on. Love can’t be real, it can’t be, especially Juliet. Disney makes it seem so easy to fall in love but life just isn’t that simple. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems, even someone like Juliet. However, quite recently, I was proven wrong. I won’t mention specifically what “surprise” I came across or “when” or “what” happened, but now, after years of denying my mother’s belief, I have come to believe it myself too.

Believing in Juliet for me is something more than just helplessly waiting for my girl to show up one day. In fact, it promotes my level of hope, my understanding of individuals around me, and it allows for having an open mind. I believe in you, Juliet, I really do. I believe that you’re out there in the world somewhere waiting for your Romeo to arrive. I believe that you’re everything that I ever wished for. I believe that you’re looking for me as much as I am looking for you. I believe that you’re immaculate. I believe that you’re real. I believe that you are mine.