The Measure of Love

Megan - Cooksville, Ohio
Themes: love

Love. Such a flimsy word. Said between grandparents and grandchildren, boyfriends and girlfriends, everyone. But does it really matter? Have you ever said, “I love you,” but you were not really sure you meant it? It doesn’t matter so much to some people. Three years ago, I love you between me and my ex-boyfriend didn’t matter anymore, but him saying, “We’re over,” did. Is love measurable, is there some chart I missed that told when I love you meant something, some way to show how I love you can turn into we’re over that quickly. To some, I love you is just a quick phrase said to make another feel confident in the relationship, but I believe that at some point in your life, I love you becomes reality. You have to go through the bad first or you might end up saying I love you in that short, uncaring phrase that we so often hear. Who gave people the right to say I love you and not mean it? Shouldn’t that be only said when you are in that sweep-you-off-your-feet kind of love, or when you’re a parent and your supposed to show your love?

That’s not always true, my real father lives just an hour and a half away but never comes to see me or call me, but our last phone call, which was two and a half years ago, he never failed to say that short, almost meaningless, obligatory phrase. How can you love someone when you don’t even make an effort to see them. When he said that, I just blew it off, there was no real meaning behind those words. What people don’t realize is that those three simple words can set off a chain reaction of feelings. They can be feelings of belonging and someone who cares about you. They can make you warm and fuzzy on the inside, or they can make you feel even worse when you figure it out that the one saying those words didn’t really mean them.

I love you is such a powerful phrase that I believe it shouldn’t be used unless you and the other person, know that you really love each other. Then I love you, becomes a phrase of happiness, knowing that someone else really truly loves you. I believe that I love you can be a sentence of joy, or a sentence of pain. Even though everyone has the hurtful I love you’s, there will eventually be that silver lining and that one true I love you that was meant especially for you, you just have to hang on and it will find you.