Battles of Good and Evil

Kristina - Newark, Ohio
Themes: good & evil

Evil is the force that can consume people and make them do cruel things to anyone and/or anything. Some most choose to follow it and some don’t. In Christianity, there is Satan, and he is the source of all evil and moral wrongdoings. He has followers and they are his demons and they do his evil work also. Satan is not human. In Beowulf, there are three evil sources. There is Grendel, Grendel’s mother, and the dragon. Beowulf helps the defenseless against the monsters and the dragon that are evil. Just like God, Beowulf is good and has followers who are good and protect the innocent and people who can not fend for themselves. Beowulf once fought against nine sea monsters while swimming across the ocean trying to win the race against another man. He would’ve won if the monsters wouldn’t have come.

Grendel comes up above ground from his living place to go to the meat hall, which is where men and women drink and be marry. He, and he kills around three hundred men and eats some of them. Grendel can notcannot touch the king because he is protected by God. The king is Grendels’ father. So Beowulf heard the news of this evil monster and sent out on ship to kill him. “The Sheppard of evil, guardian of crime, knew at once that nowhere on earth had he met a man whose hands were harder” (p.47 line 325). Beowulf heard news of this and came as quickly as he could to fight Grendel and save the people. Beowulf tells the people to throw another party in the meat hall because that is what brings Grendel above ground and kill and eat people. When the party is happening, Grendel comes above ground and starts his killing spree again, but this time Beowulf is there. He then fights Grendel and defeats him. “Terrible screams from the almighty’s enemy sang in the darkness, the horrible shrieks of pain and defeat, the tears torn out of Grendel’s taut throat” (Lline 360). His army is always with him but Beowulf never neededs them. It’s said Beowulf has abnormal strength, more than the average man. After Beowulf defeats Grendel, the people think they are saved.

Grendels’ had a mother and she became very angry when she found out her son was killed. She came up above ground from their lair under water and came to where her son was killed and took his arm that was a trophy of Beowulf’ss’ for killing Grendel. She then returned to her home. Beowulf heard the news of this and went down to kill her but realized she was very beautiful and powerful. BeowulfHe tookakes an ancient sword to her throat and killed herher live and did not fall into her trap like the king did. The king slept with her and she had Grendel. Beowulf was strong enough to resist her. The king made Beowulf king because he was a great warrior and he knew that Beowulf would always be there for his people.

Years later, while Beowulf was stillis king, there wasis a dragon, and Beowulf, forgetting about his age and how he’s not what he used to be, voweds to fight and defeat the dragon. The dragon caomes, and Beowulf begains to fight himhimit. Beowulf wasAs he is loosing the battle and while he was slowly dying, he decideds to cut off his own arm so he could defeat the dragon and save his people. During the fight, hHis army abandoned him. They wereare not used to being needed and being in battle, Beowulf hads always fought alone and not needed help, so when he needed them, they all left him to fight the dragon alone and die, all but one. As hHe defeats the dragon, but Beowulf is slowly dying. “Fate will unwind as it must!” (lineLine 284). And aAs he is dying, he decides to make the person who stood by his side and who helped him defeat the dragon, his close friend, king.

Evil is a force that can consume anyone. Evil can come in any form. It can come in anger, hatred, killings, lust, adultery and many more. You can decide not to give into it like Beowulf who resisted itdid, or you can give into it like the king did with Grendels’ mother. Beowulf was a good man and a good king. He always won the battles,., Eeven though he died in his last battle., Hhe still defeated and killed the dragon and managed to saved his people. Giving into is evil is easy. Like wise, resisting evil and choosing good is hard and also all consuming. Most people find themselves somewhere in the middle., Ssome great men are defined by a single moment in time. Most of us are defined by our everyday choices that sum up our lives. Beowulf made multiple great choices that defined him. Even making just one of those great choices would have made him a greatood man and known for eternity.