The Breaking of God’s Golden Rules

Kaila - Newark, Ohio
Themes: addiction, family

I’m seventeen years old, living in a world mixed with wonderful things, but the bad is being forced upon us.

Why do people insist on drinking alcohol? What is so fantastic about it? It ruins people’s lives along with drugs. I don’t understand what is so great about getting drunk all the time. A lot of my friends drink and try to pressure me into drinking. They always say “its okay, nothing bad will happen” or even “loosen up, and have a little fun”. I believe I still can have fun when you don’t drink or even do drugs.

It is unbelievable how many people drink, it has ruined so many people’s lives be becoming addicted to alcohol. They have lost jobs, respect from other people, and probably even lost some self-esteem as well. And anymore, that is really sad and ridiculous. There is multiple other ways to have fun.

My sister and I use to be the best of friends until she graduated from high school, and after that her life has really gone downhill. Whenever she is not working, she is out with all of her friends at parties and getting drunk every night. I worry about her more than anybody could possibly imagine. My parents know she drinks all the time now, but they can’t really control her because she does not live at the house anymore. On occasion, she will drink and drive to where ever she wants to go and I tell her time and time again that I don’t think she should and if she needs anything I will come get her.

The only thing that is not fair about that is I would have to sneak out of my house just so my parents wouldn’t know I left to get her. I have done this multiple times even though it doesn’t stop her from driving any other time that I can’t get her. I just don’t really know what to do anymore. When she asks me to come get her and I don’t really want to drive almost an hour and a half away, she will get mad at me and not talk to me for a while.

If something was to ever happen to her, I would feel like it was my entire fault for not helping her when she needed it. But I’m tired of looking out for her, especially since she is two years older than me, she should be my role model. Too bad it is the other way around…

Although I do know it would not be my fault, I would still feel entirely too bad, and would not know what to do with myself if something was to ever happen to her. What would you do in that state of mind? There is not much you really can do, except for recover and try to get your mind off things and hope that everything else will be okay, including her. In favor of everyone, I believe that drinking laws should be more strict and more cops to proceed what they are doing. Maybe then my sister would think twice about drinking and driving. Is it fair that teenagers today should have to battle with these horrible things forced into our lives by society?