Encouragement

Brittani - Newark, Ohio
Themes: setbacks

Encouragement

People see me and think that I am some fun, happy, peppy girl. But most people don’t know the truth. I have just had a lot of stuff that has happened to me during my childhood. My mother and father have separated 4 times, and each time they got back together I hated it more and more. Then about 5 years ago they started to get a divorce. The divorce has actually just ended about 2 months ago. My father was EXTREMELY abusive; physically, mentally, and mostly emotionally. He had a way of making me think I was wrong even if I was completely and totally right. I remember one day after school when I was about eight years old. I came home from school and wanted to surprise my dad, so I cleaned my room. When my dad walked in I said “daddy, I cleaned my room come look!” As he walked into my room he got a very angry look on his face. Within two minutes everything I owned was in the middle of my bedroom floor. What my mom and I had just worked so hard on was destroyed. That wasn’t even the worst part. My dad looked at me and said “If my dad was still alive, I would try and please him a hell of a lot more than you have ever pleased me.” I will remember those words for the rest of my life. I believe in encouragement. Also I believe that you should think about what you say before you say it.