Tragedy makes a hero

Bethany - Newark Ohio, Ohio
Themes: courage

Beowulf’s extreme bravery makes him a tragic hero in many ways. There are many ways to be a hero; Beowulf shows his heroism as being fearless and brave. “I’d use no sword, and no weapons.” (Line 630) “When he comes to me I mean to stand, not run from his shooting flames, stands till fate decides which of us wins.” (Line 636- 639) “Wait for me close by, my friends. We shall see, soon, who will survive this bloody battle, stand when the fighting is done. No one else could do what I mean to, here, no man but me could hope to defeat this monster. No one could try.” (Line 641- 647) In this quote Beowulf shows how he is a hero by saying he would use no sword, defeating a monster could only be done with a weapon, unless you truly are a hero. It’s tragic how he states “…stand till fate decides which one of us wins.” Because it pretty much means he is willing to die in the attempt to kill the monster, Grendel. It is brave and tragic to fight a monster alone, it would be brave because you would not have any help at all and tragic because no one is helping him. Beowulf also shows bravery by fighting a fight no one else could. “I am old, now, but I will fight again, seek fame still, if the dragon hiding in his towers dares to face me.” (Line 625- 628) To me a hero is somebody who does not ever give up. Beowulf showing his heroism fights once again, a dragon, now that he is much older and has not fought in quite some years, he is not giving up, and Beowulf does not let anything stop him, whether it is the monster or his age a truly brave hero. Obviously from what was said Beowulf is a hero in many ways, but not only is he a hero he is a tragic hero. I see him as being a tragic hero by his bravery. I think Beowulf is a very good hero. Beowulf shows why in many ways, the first he travels to fight Grendel, secondly he fights and kills Grendel’s mother so the people would not have any problems with her. Lastly Beowulf fights a dragon, and this battle is what makes the story ”Beowulf” tragic. Because Beowulf is old now but he still wants the heroic glory so he fights once again, and little does he know, the last fight he will ever fight, and also the fight that leads to his very tragic death. I do not think Beowulf had a chance at winning the fight against the dragon, because he is very old now and the dragon is very big. Beowulf does not give up he gives the attempt to kill the dragon his best. Beowulf showed very greatly how to not only be a true hero, but also how to be a tragic hero.