I Believe in Lasting Impressions

Mekenzie - overland park, Kansas

I believe in lasting impressions. Not saying that if you make a bad first impression that you will be stuck with that and cannot change peoples’ perception of you, rather if someone makes a great first impression on you that image will impact you always.

A person who made a great impression on me and who I try to emulate in every way was my club swim coach back in Colorado. His name was Jay and he is the reason I am still swimming today. Before I swam for him I was getting burnt out by the constant repetition of laps and the never ending cycle of practice. The first day of practice with Jay reminded me what I lived about swimming. Jay showed me why we put in so many hours of practice, because we loved the end result and we were around people that truly cared about us.

Jay’s carefree attitude made the grueling practices bearable and I stopped dreading the thought of swim practice. You could not be around Jay and not smile. He had the type of personality where you could be having the worst day and when you saw Jay he could make you smile in a second. I do not think Jay knows how much he impacted not only my swimming but also me as a person.

Since Jay had such a lasting impression on me I have become conscience to the fact that people stick with impressions and you need to make a good first one. Ever since I first meeting Jay I have tried to always make a good first impression on people. You never know how you will end up affecting someone and you should try to always impact them in a positive manner instead of negatively. When I changed swim teams and Jay became my coach I had no idea the impact that would have on me for the rest of my life. Thru Jay I learned the importance that other people have on you as a person. Jay taught me many valuable lessons and to him I am truly grateful.