I believe in believeing in others

noel - East Bend 27018, North Carolina

My freshmen year I played basketball on junior varsity. I had played since I was five and I love the sport. But it was different at high school and it changed my whole outlook on the game.

In high school playing basketball was no longer fun for me. The coaches cared more about how you shot your lay-up than they did you. I hated it. But going about the season I learned something very important. It wasn’t until after a game that I realized how much people not believing in you affects you.

We were in the locker-room. I was ready to change out of my red team uniform, I didn’t need it. I was a benchwarmer. But my coaches had to give their “after game talk”. They said some things that I knew were directed at me. And not just because they were staring at me the whole time, but because I knew they didn’t believe in me. I knew I was playing lousy, but how could I play better if the coaches have no faith in me? They didn’t think I was good enough.

So I made my choice that day, I was not playing basketball next year. And I’m not. So therefore I believe in believing in others. Because your lack of faith, could be the reason why they don’t believe in themselves.

So now that you see how much you need people that believe in you in your life, I would like to share with you some of the people who do in mine. The first would definitely be my parents. They are amazing and love me abundantly through thick and thin. They show me each day that they believe in me and I am very grateful to have them as my parents and friends.

The second would be my grandparents. They also show me often that they believe in me as well. If it be by my grandma’s kind words of encouragement or by my grandpa always being there for me. They both help me out a lot and I love them incredibly.

The next person I would like to mention would be my sister, Megan. She is amazing and beautiful and always makes me laugh and feel better. She shows me that she too believes in me. I would like her to know I also believe in her.

The last person I would like to mention would be my English teacher, Mr.Seipel. He can always make me laugh. His incredible personality shines through to so many levels; I don’t even think he knows. He’s an amazing person who can always lift my spirit.

And lastly, I thank everyone, even those I didn’t mention, who believes in me, it’s made all the difference.

Noel wood