Don’t take things for granted

tasia - newark, Ohio

I have taken a lot of things for granted in my life that in the end hurt me and my family. My mom was an alcoholic and my life was very rough. My mom’s alcohol addiction got so bad that we almost last her.

The first time my mom picked up a bottle of liquor was when she was in the seventh grade and she never put it down. I first realized that my mom was an alcoholic when I was in the ninth grade. My mother would go to the bar every day and not come home until the bar was closed. I remember when she would be so drunk that she would not even know what she was doing. I would take for granted the fact that she didn’t know what she was talking about and I would do whatever I wanted to do when ever I wanted to do it.

I wasn’t doing well in school at all. I was getting straight f’s on my report cards and not going to school. At one point I even got in trouble with the police because I was taking granted of my mom being drunk at the bar and told my mom a lie of where I was going because I knew she would either forget or not even care.

The summer of ’08 my mother completed the first step of addiction; she admitted that she was an alcoholic. She was in denial at first but then she realized how bad she was hurting me, my brother, and the rest of the family. She went to a detox center for a while and was in and out of the hospital all summer. We almost lost her because of the amount of alcohol she would drink a day.

Finally she didn’t have the erg to drink anymore and has been for quit sometime now and I couldn’t be more proud of her. My mother is my world and if I were to lose her I don’t know what I would do. So I have learned not to take anything for granted in my life because you may end up losing the most important thing in your life.