Watch Who You Hang Around

Christopher - Charleston, South Carolina

When was the last time you chose your friends wisely? There are many people who say that they are your friends and will always be there for you, but the sad truth is that most of them won’t be. Many of them gain your trust, but are they really your friends? This is a key question that you must ask yourself when choosing who your real friends are. I believe that true friends will stick beside you through thick and thin unlike the people that I used to call my friends.

Me I used to be a so called “thug”. I ran the street with my set, sold drugs, and had no regard for anyone else around me. Then came the day that I had to beat someone out of my set, I beat someone that I used to claim as my own out of our gang. Then my friends jumped in and stomped him. There were six boys that ran to try to help our ex-member. We wouldn’t let them, we just beat them.

The police came, so we ran. I ran back to class. I made it to my last class without being called. The phone rang, the teacher looks at me and says go to the resource officer’s office. I knew someone snitched on me. As soon as I stepped through the door, I was cuffed. They through the book at me, I was charged with six counts of assault and one lynching charge. I was facing 80 years, but it is through the grace of God that I didn’t have to serve any time because all of the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence. I now know that I determine my fait, but it was the people that I used to hang around who influenced me to be a heartless thug. I am proud to say that I no longer dwell in the street and I now hang around people who have a positive influence on my life.