I Believe: Respect Me Or Else

Kierra - Charleston, South Carolina
Themes: respect

When was the last time you walked up to a cashier and had a decent conversation with them? Were you nice and smiled back when she smiled first? Were you able to just make their day? If not, maybe you should just be nice to the cashier for once. I believe that all cashiers should be respected. This old guy once taught me that.

One specific afternoon, I was at work. I work at Super K-Mart. Anyways, in the middle of me doing “customer invitation” an old guy came up with a nasty attitude. He walked up to my register spitting out rude and cruel words at me. “Are you just going to stand around and talk or are you going to do your job.” I tried to be nice and sweet, but he turned my smile into a frown at the snap of a finger. His basket was full of Vitamin Water bottles. I tried to tell him not to take all the bottles out of the basket but you got even nastier with me. At this point I became very mad. I threatened to throw one of his Vitamin Water bottles at him if he didn’t stop disrespecting me. My supervisor saw what was going on and told me to go off on the side and calm down. Respect the cashier or take caution!

Cashiers are always tired. We are standing in the same spot between 4 to 6 hours a day just wanting to go home as fast as you do. Our feet burning, legs aching, ashy hands, and sweating because of this very hot store. Your complaining and nasty attitude definitely doesn’t make the situation better. Take a chill pill, step back and just be patient.

Every now and then I will get one of those customers that complain about every little thing. If a price does not come up right, don’t yell at the cashier. It is not the cashier’s fault the prices have not been adjusted in the computer. W hen will they get the picture? I will crack your eggs, break your chips, and “accidentally” forget to bag your cookies. Over charge you for being a brat, and like I said before, it’s not my fault the apple is .59 cents instead of .15 cents. I respect you, so do the same in return, because I’m the one with your food in my hands.

I was told, I was the quickest, nicest, well mannered cashier in the store. But that same day, I got a referral for yelling at a customer. Just trying to help, but she wanted to act like The Grinch Who Stole Christmas that day. I must have a split personality! Is it really me or is it actually the customers?

I’m a cashier just locking for respect. You have to earn it, if you want it! We don’t get tipped, paid for overtime, and not even on commission. We get paid hourly of $7.00, and between 4 to 6 hours a day. I don’t like you, just as much as you don’t like me. But I bite my tongue to make you and the boss happy.