The Importance of Family

Rachel - McConnelsville, Ohio
Themes: family, love

Families may be a little crazy, but you have to love them. They are the people who care about you no matter what. Family is not just blood relationship for me, but is also an emotional connection between a group of people. No matter the size, each person is important to making a family what it is. I believe that my family has an invisible bond that holds us all together yet allows us to grow as individuals.

This year at Thanksgiving I realized how close my family is. There are many people in my family and each year it grows even larger. I spent time with my great-grandparents, listening to the stories from when they grew up. They told me how Thanksgiving has changed for them over the years, but how the feeling of closeness is the same. The youngest members of the family enjoyed Thanksgiving too, moving from everyone’s laps, relaxed and content.

My family has helped me get through some times. When my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer, my family all worked together to help her. It showed me how much everyone means to me. Even though we may be different, we all seem to have this harmony among us that allows the difference to become invisible and we all get along.

Family is the best and most important gift anyone can have. Family is the base of my life, giving me a concrete foundation for my beliefs. Families are supportive and comforting when you need it the most. No matter how big or small your family is, you’ve got to love them all.