Mothers

Lindsey - McConnelsville, Ohio
Themes: family, love

An old Mexican Proverb says, “The house does not rest upon the ground, but upon a woman.” I have found this to be extremely true in my own home. My mother it the head our house and without her I haven’t a clue as to what we would do. I believe that mothers are one of the most essential parts of a person’s life.

When we start out as children, we look to our mothers for everything; food, comfort, love, warmth. She is the provider of everything, without her during this time in our life, we would not survive. As we grow older, we begin to watch her and think that we want to be just like her. We follow closely behind, mimicking everything that she does. Hoping very hard that you look just like her while we are doing it.

But there does come a time in our life, where we don’t want anything to do with our mothers. Independence is all that we can think of, and sadly we think that means detaching ourselves from our roots. But secretly I think that we all miss our mothers and all that they do for us, even when we are trying to spread our wings. And after that small window of time, where we have separated ourselves, we slowly make our way back into her arms. Maybe not as dependent as we were but, that’s probably a relief for the mother. This seems to be a cycle that all must go through in order to grow, it’s just a part of life.

As I am preparing to head off to college next year, I am starting to realize that I do need my mother way more than I thought. Mother’s are there to get you up out of bed, especially on those days when you really don’t want to wake. Then when you get sick, mothers have to play nurse and help to keep you comfortable while you’re healing. Cheerleader is just another name for mothers; even when their “little all-star” sat the bench; she is there to tell you how good of a sport you were. Then there are the moments when you have your heart broken, mothers have shoulders and laps for you to sit and cry in. And then there are moments when you don’t really think anything is going on, but you really are just making memories that you will smile about for years to come.

Gracie Harmon once said, “My mom is a never ending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune.” I have found that over the seventeen years I have spent with my mother, these words are so true. And I believe that mothers (or at least mother-figures) are one of the most important things that a person can have in their life.