The Golden Rule

Chelsea - Charleston, South Carolina

I don’t always practice this myself, but I believe you should live by the “Golden Rule.” This concept expresses the idea that you should treat others the way you want to be treated. This goes back to the simple life lessons that you learn in kindergarten, along with sharing and learning to use manners. This idea also coincides with karma. By this I am referring to the expression that “what goes around comes around.” This is important because you never know when being nice to someone could really help you out later in life.

At the age of six I realized that I was powerless against Brendan, my older brother. Being almost six years older than me, he had that advantage. Countless times I had been body slammed and tormented by him, including the time when there was a plastic roach in my soda and the time when I was having pennies flicked at me from across the hallway into my room. I remember one time when my brother and I were playing bicycle. This is the game where you lie on your back and put your feet together with the other person. You then move your feet in a circular motion like a bicycle. Everything was going well with this game, until my brother shoved his foot too hard, causing my knee to slam into mouth. This caught me off guard, although, I should have expected something of that nature to happen. Slamming my knee into my mouth caused one of my baby teeth to be knocked out. This wasn’t such a bad thing; however, it gave me some insight as too how defenseless I was against my brother.

One time when Brendan was babysitting me, we decided to walk to his friend, Jesse’s house. Brendan and Jesse had been friends since before I was born, or around kindergarten. Jesse was practically my other brother. He lived just around the corner from us, so it didn’t take long to get there. When we got to Jesse’s house, Brendan and Jesse hatched a marvelous plan. This plan involved a swing, some duct-tape, and me. At first, I had no idea what was going on or what their idea was. And suddenly, it hit me. They were going to duct-tape me to this swing in the middle of Jesse’s front yard. It was the middle of the afternoon and all of our parents were at work. It was hopeless, I was doomed. As much of a fight I put up, it was no use.

Moments later, I was duct-taped to a swing. I was left alone with only the hope that someone would soon come and save me. I waited and waited and finally Jesse’s older brother, Cole, came outside. At first he laughed, but eventually he did the right thing. He told them that they had to un-tape me and let me go. I was glad for his presence and he told Brendan and Jesse that what they had done was wrong. He made them realize that it wasn’t fair to do that to me since I was so young and it was two against one. Cole told them that they wouldn’t want to be me in this situation. Although there was no apology received, as the saying goes, no crime goes unpunished.

Later that night when my parents found out what had happened during the day, my brother got in big trouble. He was punished, although not too severely. He was banned from babysitting me ever again. That doesn’t seem like a big deal, but that meant that he lost all of his income for that summer and the summers to come. Also, I believe that after that day, my parents lost some trust in my brother, and that is a big deal. Trust is not something that can be earned very easily.

No matter how funny something is at the time, the consequences will most likely make it not worth trying. Although, I’m not saying that you shouldn’t try new things, but it should be with good taste towards others’ feelings. I was defenseless against my brother’s torment, and in the end, he lost part of my parent’s trust, just for his brief amusement. You should always think before you act and treat others the way you want to be treated.