Be Yourself:

Ekaterina - 1505, Bulgaria

Life is a journey we embark upon unwillingly, so we set a goal that helps us to follow it easier. I believe every human being seeks happiness. Wanting love, money, family, acceptance, revenge, and so on seems to be designed as a pathway to a personal heaven. How many times have we heard, “If only I had…”? As if the remedy lies in one object, one feeling only. For me happiness can’t be brought by material things. They can provide you one thing only: the comfort you need before you can allow yourself to seek other deeper emotions. Depending on possessions to make you happy only leaves you unsettled and searching for more. But as Marc Gohres says “there is no key to happiness, the door is always open.” So my personal belief is that we build our own future and happiness is a choice up to us. There is no person that can heal the dissatisfaction, no job good enough, no home large enough. All you need is already inside you if you could only open yourself to it. Then it will be so much easier for you to realize that happiness comes from inside.

I believe there is something to learn from everyone. I personally started forming the belief I hold today when I first read an article about J.K. Rowling’s biography. The story of a lonely mother who made it big through her writing inspired me. Even as I child I loved books and dreamed of being a writer. However, I had learned early in my life that people didn’t succeed as writers. They had to be lawyers or doctors for that to happen. Writing wasn’t a respectable job. But with Rowling’s success I realized I was wrong. If Rowling had thought like me in 1990 when inspiration first hit her, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone would never have appeared in 1997. She would never have had the enormous success and recognition she has today. What kept her going was the strong belief in herself. And now she knows it was all worth it and that she was right to trust her instincts. A similar example is Stephanie Meyer’s story: a strong minded woman who turned from a housewife to a famous fiction author.

So I do my best to follow their example and learn that if I am not happy with myself I cannot expect others to be. Now I understand that the most important lesson to learn in life is to feel good in your own skin, without envying others for what they have. Surely they have enough problems of their own, but then you see only glamour around them, not knowing what actually goes on in their lives. The sooner you learn to accept yourself the way you are, the better. Life becomes so much easier without the additional useless fears and worries nibbling the best of you away.