Summer Lessons

Amelia - Stockport, Ohio
Themes: work

How do you spend your summer? I spend mine working hard. Since I was eight years old, my summers have been spent in a barn. Most people would cringe at the idea of spending their summer feeding, walking, and working with lambs. But whether it is smoldering hot or raining heavily, I love it. I would not trade these summers for anything. I blame all this hard work on my father.

When I was eight years old we bought sheep. My father has used these sheep to teach me so many things, I don’t think even he realizes all of them. These sheep are the reason I am a good sport and the reason I am a good leader. They are also preparing me for my future as a vet. But the greatest lesson I have learned, and that I live by, is that if you are going to do something, do it right. Everything worth doing involves hard work.

It is in doing the hard work that relationships are built and fun is found. It is in the hard work that we grow. In the middle of all this hard work is when I form my bond with these lambs. During the summer they become my friends. It is because of this hard work that I do so well at the fair. I see them more than my own family.

I not only apply this rule during the summer with the lambs, but to my schoolwork during the school year too. It is with hard work that I get where I want to be. It has helped me to achieve my fifth place class ranking. It is through the hard work that I learn and grow. I also make many new friends on the way, teachers and classmates alike.

Working hard also gets me a certain reputation. This reputation gets me more privileges. People trust me more. My parents let me get my license and let me drive myself places now. They are allowing me to miss some school during deer season and also during the fair. They trust me with things that most people my age would never be trusted with.

Don’t shy away from hard work, for it will be there that you find your truest friendships, have the most fun, and learn the greatest lessons. Also the outcome is always best when there is hard work involved to get there. I believe in the value of hard work. And I have my dad to thank for showing me this.