Happiness Is Something You Create

Jacqueline - Stockport, Ohio

There is at least one point in a person’s life where he/she has felt unbelievably happy. Some people feel this happiness simply because they have gotten a good grade or because they have found their soul mate. I don’t think that this joy just comes to people I believe that I create my own happiness.

If I really want to be happy then I can’t just sit back and wait for something great to happen to me. I have to do what I love and try my hardest to make myself enjoy life. I believe that the happiest people in this world are the people who want to get the most out of life. There are many challenges in this world, and there are many things that try to stop me from enjoying life. But if I just give it my all and don’t let all the little things in life bother me, then I will create my own happiness.

I used to be one of those people who never looked on the bright side, and who always let other people decide whether or not I was happy. I remember one time I got a bad grade on a test and I came up with a billion reasons why I didn’t do good, but not one of them was because I didn’t study, which was the real reason. I finally realized that if I want to feel good about myself, then I need to try and I need to work hard. I have learned that the things I appreciate most in my life are the things that I had to actually work hard on.

It took me a while to come to the conclusion that if I keep letting other people affect how I feel then I was never going to be truly happy. If I wanted to have the benefit of enjoying what I do and how I feel then I would have to stop basing my decisions on what other people wanted. I’m so glad I can finally do what I want and be happy with myself if other people don’t like my decisions, I don’t criticize them or say that what they believe is wrong. I just know that if my decision made me content then it was the right thing for me to do.

I care about what other people think, but I don’t allow it to affect my happiness. Other people’s opinions are important but I always put mine first because I have learned that the only way I am extremely happy is if I try my best and do what I believe in. When I am doing what I love no one else can bring me down. I have made myself a strong person, and don’t let other people determine my happiness.

I hope that every person can find a way to make his/her life full of joy, and learn that he/she can create his/her own happiness. Being happy isn’t something that will just fall upon me; I have to work at it. But once I find a way to make myself happy, then I will achieve the greatest feeling on earth. And no one should be able to take that away from me.