Death Is but the Next Great Adventure

Rachel - Malta, Ohio
Themes: death

“Death is but the next great adventure”. So says Albus Dumbledore, a character in J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter books. This statement is a very wise one.

Death. A word that is final, ultimate, and unequaled in its power to induce fear by any other. Its implications are huge. At seventeen, I have yet to lose anyone close to me to death; however, when I do, I believe I will hold this philosophy close. I want to be able to think of that person as doing what is natural. Many say “He/she is in a better place,” but I believe that it isn’t a place, but a new state of being.

What are you more frightened of, dying or what comes after? Most people fear the unknown, so logically you would say the “after.” I would like to think I’m not afraid to die, but that would be a lie. I do firmly believe though that death will be a great adventure.

A fear of death is similar to a fear of the dark. There is nothing to fear from darkness itself, only from what may be lurking in it. This adventure will be scary, intimidating, and demanding; however, I believe its rewards will be enormous. If you live your life in a way that was how you wanted it and you didn’t interfere with any one else’s way of living, I believe you will be rewarded. I think that despite what happened here on Earth, you get a brand new chance after you die.

The slate you owned previously will not simply be wiped down, possibly leaving smudges of what was previously written upon it, but it will be replaced. Brand new.

I believe that when my great grandmother passed away a few months ago, she moved on from a life where she was struck with Alzheimer’s to a death where she was new and healthy again. Did my grandma just die and go nowhere? I don’t think so. Her life and death are intertwined eternally. So let me ask you something: Are they antonyms or synonyms?