Appreciate What You Have

Erica - 44139, Ohio

One scorching morning in mid July, Milton strolled out of his small yet, satisfying New York apartment. Milton, smelled the fresh morning air of New York City and sighted thousands of people moving along to their daily job or home, “Someone please come help me,” a voice screamed off in the distance. Milton started to ponder where that horrifying voice came from. My Uncle Milton knew, someone had really been hurt by the sound of this screech and moan. Milton looked left, then right, then down at a poor looking man lying cold, stiff on the bare ground. He had brown hair and blue eyes, but no one seemed to notice him. He checked his cold heart for a pulse; no beat or sound of breath. Then, he checked for any ID; nothing! His wallet was as empty as a school in the summer. Milton thought this man might have remained homeless in his time in New York.

Finally, my Uncle Milton called the police. When the police arrived they came with bright flashing lights with a loud alerting noise. They searched for any additional information but found nothing. So they would put him in an unidentified cemetery with all the other unknown people who have died. My Uncle Milton couldn’t let this happen!

“I will search for his family as much as I can,” Milton stated.

“We wish you the best of luck,” the policeman replied with thankfulness.

Milton searched for many days and nights because he had such a loving and good nature for others. A week went by, still no reply. A few days later they did, and located the family of this man and had him buried into a cemetery near them. My Uncle Milton didn’t know that man or anything about him, yet his determination to find a place for him showed his care for others and his character. Sadly, I didn’t know this story until his funeral. This story was as shocking as lightning. My Uncle Milton achieved a lot in his lifespan, and helped anyone in need.

Thus, I believe, appreciate your loved ones because on day they will be gone. You never really know what you have until it’s gone. I will now take the time to get to know the ones I love very dearly. I will see their view on living and the kind of people they are. Finally, you will see the kind of people who truly are amazing before they depart from your life.