Giving Thanks

Michael - Solon, Ohio

It was early June and I was in the bliss of summer, thinking that all was well, that my life was fine and I could play video games to my hearts content. Soon that was all about to change.

In the end of May my mom started making constant trips to the hospital. I never really asked because I was afraid of what the answer would be, and all I really thought about was having a blast, and that soon I would be shipping off to military camp. At dinner one night I asked about my mom’s trips and found out she was having surgery. I never got a chance to find out where or why as I was whisked away to military camp.

Military camp was six weeks of trials and tribulations. It was there that I became part of a family from over 13 countries and 42 states, learned how to sail, march, and it was also what isolated me from the outside world. My schedule was always so full I only had time to sporadically call my family. I had found out my mom had surgery for something related to old age. So when August 8th rolled around my summer had blown by and I was reveling in what was the best summer yet. In what felt like moments later I found myself in the first day of school, meeting my teachers and preparing myself for another year of school. But this time, when I came home again my mom was making longer trips to the hospital. And every time I inquired, my parents replied with a quiet “Your mom’s sick”. This truly worried me but I could get no information so it slipped to the back of my mind.

Finally, in October all was revealed. I had been informed by my dad that my mom had colon cancer and would be having surgery soon to try to remove it. I had always known about cancer but I never thought it would affect me or my family.

Later, during the weekend, we went to visit my mom in the hospital. As we walked through the patient area I started to become nervous about how my mom would be affected by cancer and the surgery. When we finally entered the room my mom’s face lit up and she was overjoyed to see us. My mom looked like a frail twig I was afraid would snap. My mom and I had a quick conversation before we had to leave.

After the visit to my mom I began to think about how much I had taken my mom for granted and how much I relied on her. I then came to my belief where I appreciate everything I have and take nothing for granted. I had never really appreciated my mom until I had come close to losing her and now I appreciate everything I have in my life.