The Kindness

Julia - Solon, Ohio

Everyone loves a hot cup of Starbucks on a cold day. So, when the snow fell one winter evening, laying like marshmallow fluff on the ground, and I ordered my Chai Tea Latte, little did I know I had the privilege of possessing something so much more than that styrofoam cup full of yummy liquid and spices. I would obtain a life lesson that I would carry with me everyday.

It was a Saturday, which for me, meant no worrying about rushing to get home and do homework, or prepare myself for soccer practice. At first when I saw this line I felt a little disheartened because I felt like my fingers had been crystallized from inching along in the cold and it seemed impossible to get that cup of warmness to defrost my fingers quick enough.

About eight minutes had passed by and my mom and I stood behind only one person left to order. The woman stood about average height, wearing a beautiful pea coat, surrounded by three precious kids. The man, who looked more like a boy, working behind the counter questioned her about what she would like to order.

Suddenly, my mom and I stood at the front of the line. I told the boy I wanted a small Chai Tea, and my mom placed some kind of complicated order. As we wait for our orders to appear on the counter, another person who had been working there called out the lady’s order and she vanished with her three kids, I thought nothing of seeing that lady ever again.

Soon enough, I heard the boy’s voice say, “You two are all set.” I took my cup and pulled it close to my face stopping it right before it scolded my mouth, only to smell the sweet and savory spices that I longed to taste. Then I easily sipped it, comforting me, it tasted like Christmas.

We made our way to the door right as it occurred to my mom that we hadn’t paid. She hurried back to the boy and explained, “I’m so sorry, how much do I owe you?”

Confused he replied, “That lady just paid for you.”

We stood there lost, wondering if we knew her; should we find her and thank her?

Searching for her, we agreed that we should just let her live knowing she did a kind deed that day, which did make a difference to someone.

I decided that day, as I waited in Starbucks, that no matter how society can act certain times, I believe there is still genuine kindness and courteousness alive. Then about two weeks later my mom ventured to get herself another cup of coffee and did the same thing for someone else. If each of us would pass this kind of gesture onto someone else, it just might make a world of difference to that person.