Nothing Made Sense

Laszlo - solon, Ohio

I’ve lived in Solon, Ohio for more than five years now, and since I’ve been here, I’ve learned that Solon cops are like dogs in a junk yard just waiting for a trespasser. Don’t get me wrong, they do there job well but sometimes they take it out on the wrong people.

It was a dark, clear, summer night with a full moon glowing in the distance. Adam, Justin, Alina, and I just got done doing a scavenger hunt and we were heading home until someone suggests going over a friend’s house that lives a block away from St. Rita church on the wavy roads of the A.B.C. streets. On our voyage to Aaron’s house, we strolled around in Adams rusty, beaten up, Toyota Corolla into a dark, sharp corner at St. Rita school, as Adam notices a police SUV slowly creeping around the same turn.

“Adam, Aaron’s house is to the right. Where are you going?” I questioned with curiosity.

“I know that, I but I think that cop has been following us,” said in a low voice.

“So!” I exclaimed, “doesn’t mean we shouldn’t go to Aarons! Stop acting stupid.”

He didn’t say a word.

As we lost sight of St. Rita, the charcoal black SUV reading “Solon Police” was still lurking behind us but keeping its distance. As we slowly came to a stop at a red light facing the on ramp to Giant Eagle, the SUV comes to a stop behind us. The red light switches green and Adam steps on the gas as all our hearts skip a beat when we see the red, white, and blue lights flash in the mirror.

“What did you do Adam?!” Alina shouted.

“I don’t know. I didn’t do anything wrong,” he said in a shocked voice.

As the police officer stumbles toward the left side of the car, inside we all go dead silent.

“License and registration” he said in a firm voice.

Adam hands him the papers and the cop steps away as we start arguing and making jokes at the situation to make it more comfortable. I remember thinking that I just wanted to go home.

“Where were you headed to?” asked the officer.

“We were going to Giant Eagle to get some snacks and then going over to a friends house.” Adam explained.

“Can you step out of the vehicle.” Asking as if Adam really had a choice.

We were all shocked. The cop had no right. No explanation to why he stopped us. But none the less, Adam did as he was asked. We waited in silence for the verdict. Another police charger pulls up behind the SUV and a cop gets out. We were all asked to get out of the car and Adam was asked if it was alright for the police to search he vehicle. Naturally he said yes and they went on to look through every nook and cranny of the Toyota. Fifteen minutes pass and the police walk up to us and allow us to sit back in the vehicle.

“What’s going on right now?” Finally, Justin speaks after being quite for the whole time.

“Dude, I don’t know but this is just dumb. They obviously don’t have any reason to keep us here,” I explained.

Adam walks back to the car as he gets in and starts the car. Everyone was relieved about leaving. But the cops never really did explain why they stopped us. At that point, I don’t think we really cared as long as we were out of there. This I believe that everything happens for a reason, even if it may seem as there is no point to it.