Death Brings Family Together

Nicole - Solon, Ohio
Themes: death, family

I woke up this morning to family, friends, and loved ones piling into my Grams’ house. One by one you see family you haven’t seen in years parade into the living room. We all had food to eat and happily played games. About three hours later after, everyone got here, we all washed up. Dressing in our finest black dresses, and/ or suits.

“Everyone ready,” my Grams said loudly so everyone could hear her.

“Yeap,” I said loudly. “The limos are here,” my auntie yelled. Personally I have always hated funerals.

I do not know what I was thinking when I yelled “I don’t wanna go!” Suddenly everybody, and I mean everybody got quiet.

My mom had this sour look on her face and said, “Girl Please.”

After our “little” argument I went to my room and got my iPod and just waited outside in the hot limo. When we finally arrived after that short, weird drive to Whitehaven

I calmly got out of the limo.

I looked to my left and saw my Grams crying before we even got close to the funeral home. Without talking to anyone, I quietly walked to the front pew and sat alone.

As everyone settled in their seat the preacher began, “He died not because of stupidity like the other young people around here. He died because he protected his family.”

“O god.” I said in my head here she goes…. My grams was crying hysterically. I hate it when she cries because it makes me want to cry. Sniff, as I quickly wipe my tears so my little cousin won’t see me cry, as I carry her to the rest room. I went to go sit back in my seat when I looked around and saw everybody crying. I just went back into the bathroom and waited out the last 10 minutes of the service.

After the emotional funeral we all went to my Grams’ house for the so called “dinner,” I called it the after party. We ate food, played music, played games…….That’s no dinner.

But when there is a death in the family it is painful to have to go through alone.

No one wants to have to go through it alone. Death is tragic, painful and so emotional. That’s why you have family. You can cry on their shoulder…talk to them, anything.

I think the real reason we always get together is because we have family to heal the hurt for us. I couldn’t imagine going through it all alone. You get together to mourn their death but really you get together to get past the hurt. That’s what family is for. That’s why I believe death brings family together.