Little Apples in the Big Apple

Kyle - Solon, Ohio
Themes: setbacks

Heart’s beating like snare drums; bodies shaking like an earthquake; sense of fear running through our minds, car horns blaring left and right. “Come on, come on, start, start,” my father mumbled. “Kyle, can you get the waters?”

“Yeah one second Dad,” I replied.

In the summer of 2007 my family and I went on a road trip to the big apple. Driving in our 1998 Dodge Durango rusting from the inside and out, we drove our way through traffic and opens lanes, meeting a few crazy drivers on the way. Jamming to some tunes, we came closer and closer to New York City. Then, finally we saw it: the Empire State building. We knew we had reached our destination.

Using the Lincoln tunnel allowed us to enter the metropolis with towering sky scrappers and yellow Twinkes driving by. We could see people 360 degrees around us. Some were dragged by their dogs, others carried brief cases and other stuffed their faces with hot dos from the near by hot dog stand. Our bodies were filled with the excitement in the air, magnificent sights reached our eyes. Energy flowing, hearts beating, minds racing, rolling up to a red light, unaware of what was to come, our excitement grew more and more. Until, suddenly the air conditioning turned off and the car stopped. The car overheated! With no cooling fluid our car became a sitting duck in the middle of New York City. Panicking and shaking my

did whatever he could to cool the engine down. Thousands of people none of them stopped to help. Dozens of police cars zoomed by and did nothing but a little glance. Five, 10, 15 minutes went by and the car hadn’t moved an inch; then rain began to fall. The engine cooled down. The world had stopped when my had turned the keys and the engine roared.

We finally reached our hotel that afternoon, thankful and full of joy, but the car leaking of fluids and fumes like a baby. We then knew that we should explore the giant city a foot. At the end of the trip we found a gas station and stacked up on car aids for the ride home. After that terrifying afternoon I believe to expect the unexpected because you never know what will be in store around the corner. If we had brought cooling fluid or stopped on the way to get some, we wouldn’t have gotten in the situation we did. We knew we had learned our lesson when the whole ride home we had the heat on instead on the air conditioning.