favorite number

braxton - florence, Montana

What’s your favorite number? If you’re like most people you probably have one, like 7 or 3.14. As for me, my favorite number is 52. I believe this is my lucky number, for many reasons. Everywhere it shows up in my life it always brings me good luck, and I believe that it has attached its self to my life in many ways; which when you think about it, is really weird because it’s just a number.

To exclaim, my story goes back many, many years to when I first started kindergarten. I went to “Davy’s daycare” after school out at Target Range Elementary. Davy was the day care person, and a great guy. Anyways his letter in his name adds up to 52, when you assign each letter to a corresponding number. Example, A would be 1, B would be 2, and Z would be 26. It was not till much later, when I was 13 and had long moved away, that I found this out the number was so close to me. I began seeing 52 everywhere, the teacher had the class turn to page 52, there are 52 weeks in a year, I had 52 playing cards, the answer to a math problem was 52, my step dad told me there were 52 states, which now I know is not true and still feel slightly betrayed since I found out the truth. . Only at the age of 13 I was amazed to see this number everywhere.

The next part of my story jumps ahead a little; to when I get my first cell phone. That day I spent all day trying to get all my friends’ numbers. I wasn’t the coolest kid in school and didn’t have too many friends, so I ended up asking people I didn’t know so well for their number, so I would have more than 5 numbers in my phone. When I checked my contacts list at the end of the day to see how many numbers I had, I had… wait for it… 52. It also meant I had 52 new people I could prank call.

The final part of my lucky number experience began when I moved to Florence Montana. I wanted to remember Arizona so I gave it the number 52, because America’s number is 50 and I had two number one best friends. I added 50 plus one plus one to get 52. My two friends were always number one so that why it works and why I think that it matters. There are many more examples of 52 in my life, such as the noodle incident or the crazy dots; however, most of these stories require much explanation or an essay all of there own. I have just pick out the ones that can be explained the simplest, but there are many more complicated tails untold.

Most people probably never really give this much thought to what their favorite number; however, I believe the more you think about your number, the more you see things attached to it. If not them maybe there is a better number wait out there for you. For me 52 ties into my life ever time I see it, it reminds me of this fact. 52 has become attached it’s self to me.