A Gift From Above

Antronette - Solon, Ohio

August 7, 1996 the day that my life would be changed forever. On that day God brought my adopted mother into my life. Till this day I wonder why God cared for me and loved me so much. What made me so special, so important for him to bless me with this wonderful, miraculous, and angelic woman who he made my mother? I remember when I was younger how she and I would play Sorry, and we would watch The Lion King. My mother always smiled even when times weren’t the best. Her smile was as wide as the sunrise in the morning and as warm as a soothing cup of hot chocolate tickling down your throat. Although she only stayed in my life for just a period of seven years, they were the most the memorable and precious years of my life.

Unfortunately, on April 12, 2004 my best friend, my angel, and above all, my gift from God was reunited with her father up in Heaven. Her death was cause by the malign disease known as cancer. At times I felt scared and would look towards my mother, but she would always relieve my worries with a comforting whisper, “I’m fine.” Sometimes I felt like my mom and I switched roles as if I was the mother and she was the child. Instead of her picking up after me and seeing if I was fine, I would pick up after her and make sure that she was okay. My mom struggled with this disease for three years; in the last year the cancer became extremely worst and began to spread at a rapid pace like a rumor flowing through a high school, and on that day of Monday, April 12 she left this world peacefully. Though I felt a great deal of hurt and anger I knew that when she entered the pearly gates of heaven God would meet her there and say with a exhilarating voice, “Well done my good and faithful servant.”

Since the lost of my mother, I’ve moved from Cleveland to Solon to live with my aunt and uncle the two most important people in my life, which God surrounded me by in my time of pain. For this I am very grateful, for everything they’ve done for me, and although I lost one parent I gained two in the process. Along with this, I live with my three other cousins. I now attend one of the top schools in Ohio, and I’m currently on the merit roll.

In the first two years of my mom’s death I didn’t understand, but now five years later I do. In life we all have to go through a race that has a beginning, middle, and end. My beginning of the race was on August 7, 1996 when Barbara, my mother, was introduced to me. The middle of my race was when she died on April 12. Now at 15 I’m not at the end, but I’m no longer in the middle. I realized that sometimes God has to take away a gift that he gave you to give you a greater gift in return. This is why I believe that everything happens for a reason.