The Fight That Could Change My Life

Taylor - Solon, Ohio

The fight that could change my life

I was three years old when my parents both got remarried. I lived with my mom, step-dad, and three siblings. I spent every other weekend with my dad, step-mom and step siblings. I enjoyed the arrangement until my dad and stepmom started fighting. During the fights, my siblings Tralynne, Brittany, Alex, and I played in the woods to drown out the sound. The fighting continued for a few years but then suddenly stopped. We knew the silence wouldn’t last long but we were grateful for what we got.

The fights started again after we moved. A year and a half ago we experienced the worst fight yet. My dad picked me and my sister up for the weekend and headed for his house. When we got there everything was quiet, but not for long. As we walked in the door my dad emptied the contents of his pockets onto the table and walked into the living room.

“We’re home!” He announced. “Sorry were late, I had to stop for gas.”

“Why?” my step-mom asked. “We needed that money for food for the weekend!”

The useless fight escalated and my step-mom stormed out the door. My dad followed and the fight continued. Five minutes later they came back in. I saw the cut on my dad’s face which immediately said physical fight. My step-mom took Brittany to work as Tralynne and I got our stuff. With my dad and sister in the car, we left. About an hour later, Alex called saying that his mom still hadn’t returned. When Alex is angry he tends to punch walls and things like that. Worried about my brother, we went back to the house. I walked in the door and the silence hit me like a brick wall. I heard Alex crying as he walked up the basement stairs holding his phone. My dad asked him what was wrong so he played us the message his mom left on his phone. She said that she loved him but she wasn’t coming back.

None of us knew exactly what the message meant but we expected the worst. As we tried to calm Alex down, my dad went to pick up Brittany. After hearing the message she was worried.

My step-mom still hadn’t returned in the morning. Trying to keep our minds busy my sisters and I went across the street to the park. Later that day my step-mom returned. Relieved, we went about our normal weekend routines.

I haven’t seen my step-mom since that weekend. My dad has found a new girlfriend, who has two daughters of her own. Alex moved out and is engaged to be married while Brittany is still living with her mom. Tralynne and I like our new “family” but sometimes we wish things hadn’t changed. I believe that things happen for a reason and you should make the best out of it. My life may not be the ideal life, but I think it will help me in the future.