Kyle - Solon, Ohio

Bang! Bang! James Bond, look out! “The enemy is behind you.” I said. “This is a really good story,” I told my parents as we watched the action packed movie Casino Royale on our new high def television. I was entranced, until my brother, Ryan, entered the warm and cozy house. That is when the trouble began.

It was nearly 10:00 pm. My parents asked my temperamental 18-year old, brother, and his flighty girlfriend where they had been. “We were babysitting, when we heard noises and then the light sensors went on. We were scared so we hid in an upstairs bedroom and waited for the parents.”

“Why didn’t you call the police?” My frustrated father asked.

“We were too scared.”

“What happened next? “

“His mother came home, looked around and didn’t see anything, so we drove home. Why don’t you believe me?”

Then I saw my dad take out the cell phone bill. He angrily asked my brother why so many calls were coming in from his phone, from Sandusky. His girlfriend lives there, but he was not allowed to go there during the week. “Why did you tell us that you were at work, when you were obviously in another city? Why did you tell us you were babysitting when you weren’t? You did this at least once or twice a week. Why did you lie to us?”

I could see my brother’s face turning red. I could also see my father’s face turning red. James Bond was no longer interesting. The fight of the century was going to be right in our own family room. I didn’t want to be a part of it, so I ran up to my peaceful bedroom.

Soon I heard the back door slamming. Ryan and his girlfriend had stormed out of the house. I heard her car door shut, and she left. He re-entered the house without a word and stomped up the stairs to his room. I heard my father follow. Instead of talking with each other, my dad went into his own room. Just when I thought it was over, I discovered that this was only the beginning.

Ryan entered my parent’s bedroom screaming. “I am not lying. The phone bills are wrong. I was where I said I was.”

“It might be wrong once, but not this much. You are stupid for doing this. What would have happened if you were in an accident? What if the car broke down?”

At this Ryan became furious and punched the wall. From my room I could only hear a loud thump, and angry voices. Then I opened my door and saw my stressed out brother pack his bags and run frantically down the stairs. He mumbled, “no one cares about me, I am moving out for good.”

My dad sadly said, “Let him go.”

I thought that if my brother really left, that I could have his room. Maybe the house would be quieter. I looked out of my bedroom window. There he was, just sitting in his Jeep, crying.

Then I saw my dad get into the car. Their voices were so loud that my windows shook. Finally, they came back in. I heard my father apologize for calling Ryan stupid. Ryan said that he was sorry for lying, but that he wanted to visit his girlfriend and didn’t want to get in trouble for it, so he figured it was best to fabricate stories about his actual whereabouts. He didn’t think that his cell phone would give him away. He promised to me more open and honest about where he was going, and what he was doing.

Finally, it was over. We were all tired. I eagerly went into my parent’s room to say good night, and then I saw it, a large hole in the wall. It was then that I realized what lying can do. It can hurt people, and tear families apart. It can break walls and hearts. Not telling the truth can force a thunderous explosion when the conscience can’t take the pressure any longer. Lying is harmful and dangerous. I will not become that kind of person, this I believe