Appreciate Good Health

Zachary - Solon, Ohio
Themes: addiction

Appreciate Good Health

The night of November 30th, the moon appeared big and beautiful, as I played my favorite video game with my sister. Our parents left to go out to dinner with other adults, leaving my sister and me home alone. We played Crash Team Racing together. Life couldn’t be better, until the phone rang. I thought that one of my sisters friends, or my parents friends called, but, I thought wrong. My sister answered the phone while I kept playing Crash Team Racing. When she got off the phone, the look on her face did not look like a happy one. She came over to me. I knew something terrible had happened.

“Zach?”, she asked.

“What?”, I replied.

“The hospital just called.”

“For what?”, I asked with a gulp in my throat.

“Bubbie isn’t doing very well.”

When I heard her say that, I got very sad. My sister called my parents to tell them why the hospital called while I cried. My mom said that we should go to our neighbors house across the street. I continued to cry when we got there. My neighbors had two kids for my sister and I to play with. Then, we all went down in the basement to play on there Play station Two. Normally, I would have been exited to play, but I felt like exploding. Seeing how terrible I looked, my neighbor cheered me up a little by telling me a joke. It felt good knowing that they cared about the situation. After a while we went to bed at my neighbors house because my parents went to the hospital. I couldn’t fall asleep because I kept wondering what could happen to my bubbie. I also wanted my parents to be with me. After a little bit, I fell asleep.

I woke up in the morning with a bad feeling in my stomach. The house was as quiet as a snowflake falling slowly to the ground. I felt relieved to see my mom in the kitchen whispering to my neighbor so they don’t wake me up, not knowing I woke up already. I didn’t see my dad there though. When my mom noticed I woke up, she came to talk to me.

“Zach?”, she asked in a sad tone. After my sister had asked me that question the day before, I could sense something bad had happened.

“What?”, I asked back.

“Bubbie just past away.”

I couldn’t believe what she had just said. I felt terrible, but, I didn’t cry. My sister woke up soon after I did. My mom told her what she told me. After my sister heard what happened, she cried. I wanted to cry, but I couldn’t.

“ Where’s dad?”, I asked.

“He’s still at the hospital.”, my mom said.

“When will he be back?”

“I don’t know.”

“How did bubbie die?”

“She smoked for a very long time and she got lung cancer.”

Of course, I didn’t really know a lot about lung cancer at that time, but I knew it was bad. Then it hit me like a dodge ball right at my face. Smoking is unhealthy and it can kill people. What I am trying to say is, people should appreciate good health and not throw their lives in the dumpster.