Getting Along

Alex - Boone, Iowa

What would happen if every nation in the world were to share their resources with one another? If we were to cooperate and share, instead of hoarding our limited resources and territory, what great accomplishments might be achieved? As things are now, we are a race consisting of many divided “clans,” or nations. We are efficient enough to support ourselves, and we even assist the other “clans” if necessary, but we are limited by our lack of natural resources. Our land only contains certain amounts of resources, and we must solve this problem by trading with other nations who have resources that we do not. This leads to hoarding of resources we consider valuable and stifles our ability to invent and prosper as a race. If we were to all get along, we would be much more technologically advanced than we are today.

Sharing resources benefits all involved. I recently had to plan a New Years party for some friends and myself. I did not have all the necessary items to create a successful party, but when I asked for help and my friends pitched in and brought the things I needed the party turned out much more successful than it would have been otherwise.

As well as this concept works on a small level, think what would happen if it were applied to the entire world. We would have access to oil from the Middle East, Africa would obtain much needed food, and so on. We would utilize everything for the greater good, and find ways to use technology to focus on making more efficient means of transport rather than exploiting advancements to develop the latest and most powerful weaponry. We would also achieve these wonderful technologies in a shorter amount of time – isn’t it often the case that two heads are better than one? Most people disagree with this concept, saying that our jealousy and hatred for each other can never possibly be overcome. They might be right, but how could they know? We have never even attempted to try.