Lauren - Long Branch, New Jersey
Themes: carpe diem, love

“Time means nothing in the face of love.” I believe that when you are with someone you love, whether it is a family member, a best friend, or your soul mate, time should not be a factor when you are spending special memories with them. Our world today revolves around time and counts down the hours, minutes, and seconds of a day. Time is precious. Time is a gift we all carry with us. We take the time we have on earth for granted when we should be appreciating that time instead.

Family bonding at home has come to a minimum living in a society as we do today. Everyone always has something that needs to be done at a certain time. We rush from place to place, not stopping to pay attention to the special details of life. Some families don’t even have enough time to sit down together around the dinner table or watch a movie together on the weekends. We go about our own lives not realizing the other lives around us. The special moments together create the foundation of a family and build the home that surrounds us.

The time spent with a best friend grows into an everlasting relationship that can make you a part of another family. A friend is there for you twenty-four hours of the day, seven days of the week, and forever to spend as much time as you need. You can spend time together laughing over something silly, crying on their shoulder because you’re upset, being angry with them over a stupid mistake, or just being with because you have the time. The endless stories, multiple inside jokes and countless times of being there for each other create a friendship that will last a lifetime.

As for that special someone, your other half, love is a strong emotion that can happen in any matter of time. Love doesn’t have a time frame to begin or end it just happens. That connection draws two people close and creates an understanding for each other. When you love someone, your heart is the one to determine when the time is right to speak from it. For as long or short of a time that love takes, it means nothing to the two people that are involved. Love is an everlasting intangible thing that can overpower the power of time.

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” – Anonymous. We must learn to appreciate the time we have here with each other. It is important to take each day as it comes and be thankful for those days given to us. We must enjoy life and make special memories with each other. Our time now can make an influence on other people’s lives.

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago. It was one the most stressful times my family had to go through. My mother spent time every day for a few weeks going for radiation and trying to battle off the cancer. As a hardworking woman her days were long and her family time was short. So senior year of high school my mom took me out of school for two weeks to travel overseas to Italy with her. We both did not want those two weeks to end. It was time spent together that was appreciated by the two of us and meant so much to share such a great amount of bonding time. The memories we shared together will last a lifetime no matter how long our vacation was.

My mom and I shared an experience that has proven to me that time truly is nothing in the face of love. She has shown me that time is just a bunch of numbers everyone circles around. People wear watches, place clocks in every room of the house; time is put in cars, and even on signs. Time really is everywhere. It means nothing when you are in a happy place surrounded by love and comfort. It can go by quickly when having fun, but we don’t have to let it end because time will go on forever.

I believe that time comes and goes and you can never get back the time you lose. I believe that time should not be taken too seriously when you are spending time together with someone you really care about. I hope the time you took to read this makes you think about how you go about your time and what you will do with the rest of it.