Hard Work

Adam - Overland Park, Kansas

Life, whether we like it or not, is going to be filled with ups, downs, good and bad times, success and failure; but most of all there will be times where effort and hard work are needed to get to those high points in our lives. Some people wonder how they are ever going to find success in what they are doing or want to do. Whether it is in business, school, or even athletics, the amount of time and effort you put into it will decide whether you get there or not. I believe hard work can get you almost anywhere you want to be in your life.

Some look at the millionaires and wonder how they got there, especially if they came from meager beginnings. I can tell you that it’s no mystery. In fact, it’s obvious most of the time that the reason they are in that position and you or I aren’t is because they tried that much harder than the average person to get there. And naturally, you will see in the news a story of someone that has natural ability to make it all the way to the top. But you can’t let that cause you to give up. It does take courage, and strength to sacrifice to become what you are striving to be and accomplish your goals.

If you’re a basketball player like me and you want to get better at free throws the phrase we all know is, “practice, practice, practice”. The people that get left behind are lazy and don’t take responsibility for their lives. They are neglected because they don’t spend that extra thirty minutes in the gym working out, or going to get help from a teacher after school every day if they don’t understand something, or staying at work even if you are given a break to leave early. People are rewarded for working hard to become great at what they do. If you are someone who is satisfied with where you are here and now, there’s no chance you can ever move up in society.

My parents have taught me well that, you have to earn everything you get. If I want to finish high school and get a degree, the extra time I put in each of those nights will pay off when colleges see that my grades are acceptable and my application impresses the company I might want to work for. I believe you just can’t let up because the minute you do is when you begin to slip and it seems the world is crashing onto your shoulders. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. The strength to get there comes from deep within your heart; all you have to do is look for it.